Assistant Coffee Roaster
Merchant Coffee Roasters are a specialty coffee roaster located 2.5 hours from Melbourne in Mansfield, North East Victoria. Due to growth across our brands we are upscaling our roasting team and are offering a rare opportunity to get in at the ground level and learn from experienced roasters and operators.
We are currently looking for an assistant/junior roaster to join our team.
What makes up the role?
- Learning to and applying our style of roasting to our already established blends
- Learning and applying the best roast techniques and styles to a range of single origins
- Adhering to and eventually planning roast schedules
- Roaster operation, maintenance and cleaning
- Roast data recording, analysis, and quality control
- Blending and packaging
- Weekly production cupping
- Adhering to Roastery Cleaning and Safety procedures.
- Wholesale packing & dispatch
- Following established procedures to ensure smooth operation
- Two days barista work to begin with as the full time roastery role develops with sales
What do you need to have?
- Sound coffee knowledge, and at least 3 years Industry experience as a barista
- Good communication and organisational skills
- High level of work ethic. We roast a lot and need to maintain quality throughout
- Self motivation and ability to work as an individual, and in a team
- Desire for the coffee industry, and an understanding of it’s direction and trends
- Current drivers license
- Forklift license preferred though not essential
- Any previous roasting experience would be an advantage
- The desire and drive to make a possible move to further yourself and your career
The successful applicant will become part of our team that is looking to grow extensively through the next 5 years. We are not looking for a short term employee, we have an established business that has been built up by long term employees who are on board with our drive, ambition and goals, you would need to possess the same desire to achieve in a highly competitive market.
We are experienced at assisting staff who choose to make the move to the area for their careers and will help where we can to get you set up through real estate connections, guidance and advice for the area.
So if you are ready to take the next step in your coffee career please send over your resume with an attached cover letter outlining your future plans and goals in coffee and we can see if they line up with ours. This full time position will begin with three days at our roastery and two days working with our coffee in our two cafes in Mansfield. The role will expand into full time roastery work over the next year.
E mail your resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org